Netskope, the leader in Secure Access Services Edge (SASE), announced the general availability of a comprehensive data protection solution to help businesses securely manage their ChatGPT usage. employee and other enterprise applications’ next-generation AI, such as Google Bard and Jasper. With its award-winning Secure Service Segmentation (SSE) platform and a decade-long commitment to data security innovation, Netskope today can securely enable general AI through unique, patented data protection techniques not available on other vendors’ SSE platforms.
After the incident in 2023 of the exposure of sensitive data from generalized AI, many companies are now wondering if and how to enable the safe use of these applications and support AI innovation. without jeopardizing their activities. According to Netskope research, currently:
- About 10% of enterprise organizations are actively blocking ChatGPT use by teams
- ChatGPT adoption is growing exponentially in enterprises, currently at a rate of 25% month over month
- Approximately 1 out of 100 enterprise employees actively uses ChatGPT daily, with each user submitting, on average, 8 prompts per day
To address this challenge, Netskope Intelligent SSE combines Netskope’s longstanding data protection capabilities and recently released innovations, specifically for dynamic classification and monitoring of secure use of applications. general AI use.
“Enterprises today are faced with deciding whether to block access to ChatGPT and other generative AI apps to reduce security risk, or allow usage and reap the efficiencies and other benefits these apps can bring about. The safe enablement of these apps is ultimately an advanced data protection challenge—one Netskope is uniquely positioned to solve,”
“Netskope helps all organizations encourage the responsible use of these increasingly popular applications using the right data protection controls in place that help keep the business safe and productive.”
Krishna Narayanaswamy, Netskope Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer.
As part of Intelligent SSE, Netskope Zero Trust Engine capabilities for the safe enablement of generative AI applications include:
Comprehensive Application Usage Visibility
- Instant access to specific ChatGPT usage and trends within the organization via industry’s broadest discovery of SaaS (using a dynamic database of 60,000+ applications) and Advanced Analytics dashboards
- Best-in-class Cloud Confidence Index™ (CCI) that actively classifies new generative AI applications and evaluates their risks accordingly
- Granular context and instance awareness via patented Cloud XD™ inspection, which discerns access levels and data flows through application accounts, such as corporate vs. personal accounts
- Visibility via a new web category specially created for identifying generative AI domains, enabling teams to configure access control and real-time protection policies, and manage traffic destined specifically for generative AI applications
Advanced Application Access Control
- The ability to dynamically perform granular access to ChatGPT and other generative AI applications
- Visual coaching messages to alert users in real-time on potential data exposure and other risks every time generative AI applications are accessed— promoting responsible use of generative AI applications and training employees in real time, without stopping harmless queries
Advanced Data Protection
- The ability to monitor, allow, or block enterprise sensitive data (such as source code) from being posted to AI chatbots
- Support for regulatory compliance needs such as GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, and many others, using advanced data classifiers and ML-based detection
The Highest Performing Security Services
- With SSE services powered by NewEdge, the world’s largest security private cloud presence with data centers in 65+ regions globally, Netskope provides customers with unparalleled service coverage, performance, and resilience
History and Tradition of AI/ML Innovation in Data Protection and More
Since its founding in 2012, Netskope has been consistently praised for its advanced data protection capabilities as well as its use of artificial intelligence and machine learning (ML) innovation in its platform. These innovations include data security, integrated UEBA, threat protection, IoT security, borderless SD-WAN, AIOps, and others, with advanced techniques for image classification , personally identifiable information (PII), whiteboard image detection, sensitive document classification, IoT device detection, WAN access anomaly detection, encrypted file detection, and more other important uses.
In addition, Netskope AI Labs is recognized as the authority in addressing security and fraud issues through the responsible use of AI/ML in various fields, developing large-scale AI/ML models for real-time SSE and SASE use cases. Netskope’s team also includes inventors listed in hundreds of patents worldwide.
“As a leader in the transformation of network, cloud, and data security, Netskope is committed to the responsible use of artificial intelligence and machine learning. We work with peers, academia, thought leaders, and governments alike to safely direct AI/ML efforts in a way that will benefit and not cause harm to our customers, partners, employees, and their families,”
“Netskope AI Labs is a critical component of Netskope product and service innovation. Even more importantly, we help drive the right outcomes regarding AI’s role in security and networking and how we can all take advantage of innovation with the right protections in place, whether for generative AI applications or any other compelling use case.”
Dr. Yihua Liao, Head of Netskope AI Labs.
Among other recent accolades, Netskope was named a Leader in the 2023 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Security Service Edge and was the only SSE Leader to also rank among the highest three scoring vendors for all Use Cases in the companion Critical Capabilities for SSE report. Those use cases include “Identify and Protect Sensitive Information,” a data protection category in which Netskope received the highest scores among any SSE vendor.